From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:14:00
On 17 June 2010 02:01, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
<jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
> On 16-06-2010 16:39, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote: >> On 6/16/10 5:33 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote: >>>  - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel >>>    is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary? >> >> I think the initiative is on the offended person's side. If a developer >> is being aggressive and needlessly argumentative towards other people, >> that's clearly a misconduct. Similarly for aggressive users. > > There is a common misconception here that I feel the need to address. It > was never the direct responsibility of the Developer Relations team to > "police" the communication mediums nor was it assigned the > responsibility to enforce the CoC.
DevRel is repsonsible for solving conflicts between developers. Apparently I am not the only one who expects DevRel to take an active role in enforcing the CoC, at least where it concerns inter-developer relations. If this is not DevRel's task, then this should be made explicit.
> There was a mostly silent agreement between some teams, including > DevRel, UserRel, Council and Trustees, that after the Proctors project > was terminated, the enforcement of the CoC, including any moderation or > banning actions, would fall to the UserRel team.
This is very worrying. Such things should never be a silent agreement. This needs to be open and transparent. This is policy that needs to be explicit. Cheers, Ben