From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:32:58
1 On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:26:16 +0000
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > Are you really telling me you are going to write _one_ ebuild
4 > with /that/ god-awful hackery in it?
5
6 Are you really suggesting that no-one ever will?
7
8 > Sticking to a single EAPI="xx" format in the ebuild means we don't
9 > have the *hack* of duplicating information in the filename (and the
10 > whole {pre,post}src issue, QA checks for human error since this is
11 > redundant info) simply to avoid parsing a config file.
12
13 There is no duplication of information, nor redundancy.
14
15 The pre/post source issue exists regardless of how EAPI is set -- it's
16 just that with filename EAPIs, you aren't restricted to post source
17 changes. It's explicit in the GLEP because it's important that package
18 mangers get it right, but it's not a new issue.
19
20 Ebuilds are not config files.
21
22 Really. It's a heck of a lot cleaner in the filename suffix.
25 Ciaran McCreesh