From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfree
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:19:56
1 On Thursday 29 May 2003 06:12, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Well, I've checked in a masked -r3 ebuild for xfree-4.3.0. In it, I have
5 > the fonts moved into /usr/share/fonts. I would like this to undergo
6 > testing, and also I would like some opinions/feedback on this move. Just
7 > to catch everyone up: I'll be moving the fonts packages in portage all to
8 > media-fonts categories, and make them install into /usr/share/fonts
9 > instead.
10 >
11 > Additionally, the roadmap for -r3 is to remove ALL font building from xfree
12 > entirely and shove them into separate packages. The two possible
13 > exceptions will be 75dpi and 100dpi fonts, but even those might move and
14 > become PDEPENDs.
15 >
16 > As such, the current -r3 in portage is just part way there.
17 >
18 > I am very interested in opinions before I proceed along this path.
19
20 That would be cool (take fontconfig into account though). This would mean a
21 lot less time needed to build xfree, and probably a lot less possible
22 breakage when updating xfree.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze