From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Stable Python stage repair thread
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:54:23
1 Hello!
4 I have done a bit more testing now. To do so I have isolated the
5 eselect-python-update behavior into testing ebuilds (package
6 "virtual/debug-eselect-python") reduced to just that problem (no
7 compilation and the like, see attachment, also in sping overlay).
8
9 The test scenario is made of two halves: one half is an ebuild running
10 eselect python update on pkg_postrm (the 2.7 one, to emulate what users
11 may have still installed), the other is an ebuild with the
12 work-in-progress patch I plan to apply to dev-lang/python instrumented
13 with debugging output (the 2.7.1 one).
16 To recall, the goal is:
17
18 1) Having valid symlinks for /usr/bin/python
19
20 2) Keeping active Python versions untouched, i.e. reverting a change
21 by an ebuild calling eselect-python-update during pkg_postrm.
24 The test scenario is these three commands on a root shell:
25
26 # EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS= emerge -1av =virtual/debug-eselect-python-2.7
27 # eselect python set python2.6
28 # EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS= emerge -1av =virtual/debug-eselect-python-2.7.1
29
30 The output of the third call is the interesting part, see attachment.
31 Besides my earlier mixup of
32
33 eselect python set --pythonX pythonX.Y # good
34
35 with
36
37 eselect python set pythonX.Y --pythonX # bad
38
39 the patch proposed earlier seems to be a promising approach.
40
41 Next I will apply this appraoch to dev-lang/python int the main tree.
42 I expect that to take no longer than two hours, hopefully less.
43
44 If you spot any practical problems with this please mail me ASAP.
45
46 Wish me luck so I don't break anything for worse.
47
48 Best,
52 Sebastian

debug-eselect-python-2.7.1.ebuild text/plain
debug-eselect-python-2.7.ebuild text/plain
install-2.7.1-output.txt text/plain