From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: www-client/chromium-bin
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:12:53
On 3/5/11 11:05 AM, Duncan wrote:
> What about handling chromium-bin the same way amd64 handles grub-static? > They create a standard binpkg of the normal grub ebuild (using > standardized USE flags, of course), using that as the source tarball for > the grub-static ebuild, which then simply ebuild-scripts the unpack and > install of the binpkg tarball.
That's the chromium-bin, really. The difference is that chromium has more deps and takes more time to compile than grub. Also, it has much more frequent releases, and almost every stable release is a security update.
> In theory, the ebuild could even grab and merge the appropriate binpkg > based on arch, allowing the ebuild to be keyworded for more archs than the > usual binary-only ebuild tends to be, altho I'm not sure that'd work in > practice as I'm unsure of the effects on the metadata cache and whether > that would be allowed or not.
Yeah, I can understand how it could work technically. The only issue is to make the version bump one automated step. Paweł Hajdan, Jr.