From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Improve policy of stabilizations
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:53:08
1 Ryan Hill posted on Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:48:23 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > Is there any interest in allowing certain packages to be stabilized by
4 > the maintainer without going through the arch teams? I always feel
5 > guilty when i file stabilization bugs for app-doc pkgs.
6
7 Weren't there already arrangements for this in some cases? I distinctly
8 recall a thread on it some time ago, with the conclusion being that
9 various maintainers can get permission from the arch teams to keyword
10 their own packages.
11
12 Now that was in the /general/ context of having access to the arch either
13 directly/personally or thru available testing resource machines, but (as
14 klausman accounts for in his post) that really doesn't apply to (for
15 example) docs packages that don't require fancy build-chains or (with
16 some sanity margin) where the build chain dependencies have been long
17 stable, so "required testing resources" are virtually zero.
18
19 Thus, I'd say it's probably an extension of the previous arrangement --
20 but of course that does still require an initial one-time permission
21 grant per arch, either per-package, or depending on arch/pkg-maintainer
22 trust level, possible per category or similar.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman