From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags again (informix, memlimit)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:48:45
On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 11:14, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
> I've almost completed the new PHP eclasses for mod_php and CLI php. > I just wanted to discuss a possible new global USE flag. > > informix - Provides support for IBM Informix server > > This would compliment the current 'oci8' for Oracle. > Once we also get other packages for informix, then will greatly increase > our appeal to the enterprise market :-).
In my opinion USE flags should stay local as long as there's not multiple uses for it currently available (or pending) in the tree . I don't know if that's the case here (taking into consideration php and mod_php are basically the same package).
> > Previously, Tal (coredumb) made enquries about the a memlimit flag on > -core. (Subject: '[gentoo-core] Memory limit useflag' Date: 23? Apr). > Nobody at all responded to the message, so I'm going to just repeat the > just of it here > > This was originally in response to bug #18890. PHP supports a memory > limit option that puts some memory usage limits into place (similar to > ulimit). > > We want to push this to a USE flag as it does cause a visible > performance hit for the increase in security it provides. > > From a little research on Google, it seems that both TeX and PostGres > support memory limit stuff to some degree (I did not dig much beyond the > first page linked off google).
wouldn't be a general security type of flag better ? In general it seems like the sort of thing flagged.
> Given the utter lack of response to Tal's previous email to -core, if I > don't get any answer on these by saturday, I'll look at including them > myself as they are needed for the new PHP ebuilds.
see it like this, other devs don't deal with your packages and may be careful to give their opinion about something they haven't looked into (i know i am). In general i was looking trough USE flags list, things like icc and jikes and memlimit maybe, do they really belong in use.desc ? Aren't USE flags defined as compile time enabling or disabling of certain features in an application, i guess memlimit fits the description, but icc and jikes don't, theyre compile time options that have no direct effect on the functionality of the app. Shouldnt they have their own file, removing some of the burden of the use.desc file ? - foser -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list