From: Salze@×××.de
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo install probs
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 05:51:48
1 Hi!
2
3 I'm currently installing Gentoo because I heard so many positive reports
4 about it. As far as the installation guide is concerned I can confirm them up to
5 now, although I encountered two problems (I'm using the live cd without UT):
6
7 1)
8 http_proxy and ftp_proxy have to be set to "http://<ip>:<port>" instead of
9 just "<ip>:<port>". The proxy is a SuSE 7.3 running squid, but I don't think
10 it even gets so far without the "http://", but I haven't checked. But
11 RSYNC_PROXY only works without the "http://". I'm somewhat surprised that I'm
12 supposed to be the only one having to add "http://" for http_proxy and ftp_proxy.
13 Maybe it's because I used ips instead of hostnames?
14
15 2)
16 procps doesn't install. "rm -f /var/catman/cat1/ps.1.gz
17 /var/man/cat1/ps.1.gz" (retyped from memory) fails. I couldn't find the script and creating those
18 directories and files didn't help either. I could help myself by pretending
19 to have it installed already (emerge --pretend or so). "emerge \<"procps"
20 (don't remember the full package name) said it didn't find anything...I though
21 maybe previous versions didn't have that problem.
22
23 Feedback/help on 2) would be appreciated. Otherwise I just wanted to say
24 thanx for the good work and maybe help improve the install guide/procedure a
25 little bit.
26
27 bye
28 Salze