From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:01:23
1 On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 02:56:08 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > We are waiting on ABI dependencies (and extended support for
4 > > multiple ABIs in package manager), which will provide some needed
5 > > functionality.
6 >
7 > You can do it now w/out waiting on ABI dependencies- I'm not saying
8 > the dependencies would be pretty, but it's doable to get abi level
9 > depdencies per slotting via expanding out the use combinations.
10 >
11 > Note that's a step beyond what's in place now- converting over to the
12 > ruby abuse of USE_EXPAND hands over better control to users now w/
13 > the same dep gurantees.
14 >
15 > So... yeah, it's not reliant on EAPI. An EAPI extension *would* make
16 > it easier, but it's not required to do it (especially since the deps
17 > are already autogenerated to a decent degree).
18
19 How would do it and deal with existing packages not having the required
20 things in IUSE without (+)/(-) use deps? I don't see a way of doing it
21 legally without those.
24 Ciaran McCreesh