From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:27:10
1 On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:42:14PM +0100, kosmikus wrote:
2 > Over in the Gentoo Haskell team we have this problem that one of our
3 > ebuilds (gtk2hs) needs loads of memory to build. It uses this
4 > preprocessor build tool that needs about 400Mb of memory (that's
5 > resident RAM not swap friendly virtual space). This is not something we
6 > can easily change.
7 I've done a few ebuilds that require vast amounts of memory or diskspace
8 to build/install. Perhaps some common way of doing this in ebuilds would
9 go well with the system?
10 Eg
11 - OpenOffice needs ~4Gb of space to compile.
12 - For MySQL, under certain USE flags one of the files can use ~600mb of
13 memory when compiling with GCC.
14
15 As the requirements for a package can vary based on a number of things
16 or be reasonably fixed, I see a solution like this:
17 An ebuild defines two variables:
18 NEEDED_COMPILE_DISK
19 NEEDED_COMPILE_RAM
20 NEEDED_FINAL_DISK
21 NEEDED_FINAL_RAM
22
23 which should evaluate to a constant numeric value in Kb of the absolute
24 maximum.
25
26 For OpenOffice, this might be a base of 4Gb plus whatever else is needed
27 per language.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
32 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
33 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85