From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] QA obscurity: "hasq test $FEATURES" != "use test"
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:45:44
1 So I saw the recent set of bugs filed for QA, complaining about misuse
2 of FEATURES, specifically that we should not be using the FEATURES
3 variable, and instead should be using "use test" to check for tests
4 being enabled.
5
6 USE=test means: "build with support for tests"
7 FEATURES=test means: "actually run the tests"
8
9 So consider:
10 FEATURES=-test USE=test emerge ...
11 This would build the testsuite, and depending on the package, install
12 the tests the system, but NOT run them in src_test.
13
14 In the packages, I'd like to know:
15 1. From any phase, is src_test scheduled to be run? (FEATURES=test).
16 2. Has src_test run yet?
17
18 For iasl, upstream requests that if the tests are run at build time,
19 that they are installed to the system, which is what we do. If
20 FEATURES=-test USE=test is used however, using 'use test' is bogus,
21 because I cannot detect that the tests are going to/have run.
24 Robin Hugh Johnson
25 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
26 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
27 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85