From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 17:39:22
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 01:32:45PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o> wrote: > > > > That isnt true =) you can commit from shallow clone  if and only if original > > repo doesnt have a branching and merging points before and after shallow > > clone point respectively > Is that going to be a practical condition to maintain?
We're going to have lots of branches and merges.
> And how big will the repository actually be? Are we talking a GB or > two, or something orders of magnitude larger?
In terms of repo size, we were going to be slicing the history into two parts: - fresh start - historical The 'fresh start' is what new commits will go on top of, and ranges 40-120MB depending on what git window compression is used. The historical is ~1.2GB, and if you want a continuous history, you just use graft to merge the two. -- Robin Hugh Johnson Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead E-Mail : robbat2@g.o GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85