From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] automate "make install" stuff
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:11:46
1 On 06/17/04 pclouds wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > I have an idea of using something like checkinstall/sandbox to
5 > automate src_install phase without making patch for it.
6 > Here it is:
7 > we do "make install" in chrooted env.
8 > There is nothing in chrooted env, so it won't work. The
9 > idea is to make chrooted env as same as the real env. We preload a lib
10 > to monitor file access before chrooting. The lib is much like
11 > sandbox/installwatch. When it encounters a file access, it will make a
12 > link from the original file to DESTDIR so that programs running inside
13 > chrooted env can see it.
14
15 Why the chroot and linking stuff? This will get extremely annoying. How
16 about programs the Makefile has to run (cp, make, install, chmod, ...).
17
18 > Another problem is when programs modify/delete a file out of chrooted
19 > env. In this case, it will fail. It should be handled by hand. The lib
20 > should ignore (or make it as it's done. the original files don't
21 > change actually).
22 >
23 > The last problem is that links will not be deleted over time. They may
24 > grow if some programs scan the whole tree such as find. Most
25 > install scripts won't afaik.
26
27 Well, that's the smallest problem.
28
29 > Ok, once "make install" is done, we have DESTDIR with all installed
30 > files and some links. Some works are needed to remove links.
31 >
32 > Don't know if it's usable, so post it here :) Any suggestions?
33 >
34 > PS. I don't mean to replace src_install. It's for quick, dirty
35 > ebuilds. It's for guys that want to install/test some programs
36 > quickly.
37
38 I don't get what problem you're trying to fix in the first place. Whats
39 wrong with the current sandbox that would be fixed by your suggestion?
40
41 Marius
46 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
47 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.