From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 09:21:31
1 >>>>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > We've moved our official support channels from Freenode to Libera.chat.
4 > All that's happened afterwards pretty much proves that this was
5 > the right decision. Maybe even to the point of saying that staying
6 > on Freenode would be dangerous to our users (e.g. because of the late
7 > NickServ impersonations, ops with bad reputation etc.).
8
9 > However, there are still IRC clients in Gentoo that default to Freenode.
10 > I think the next questions we need to answer are:
11
12 > 1. Should we be proactively changing the default network in IRC clients
13 > (provided they have one) from Freenode to Libera.chat?
14
15 Yes. IMHO Freenode is no longer a reasonable default.
16
17 > 1a. If yes, then should we also make a change if clients default to
18 > network other than Freenode?
19
20 No.
21
22 > 2. Should we be proactively *removing* Freenode from the network list
23 > in IRC clients (provided they have one)?
24
25 No (but also don't re-add it if upstream decided to remove it).
26
27 > 2a. Should we be adding Libera.chat to the list even if we do not remove
28 > Freenode?
29
30 Yes. We have our channels there, so it is reasonable to have the network
31 in the list.
32
33 Ulrich