From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Global USE flag: minimal?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:36:20
1 It seems quite a few packages are using the 'minimal' USE flag now:
2
3 app-admin/webmin:webmin-minimal - Install the minimal webmin
4 distribution
5 app-editors/vim:minimal - Build vim with minimal features,
6 resulting in a ~430K binary
7 net-analyzer/net-snmp:minimal - Installs only the libs/daemons needed to
8 be snmp monitored
9 net-www/drupal:minimal- Disables installing the additional plugins
10 sys-apps/iproute2:minimal - Builds and installs only the traffic control
11 util.
12 x11-base/xorg-x11:minimal - Build without fonts, clients and some other
13 things
14
15 Probably worth making it a global USE flag. How's the following sound
16 for a description?
17
18 minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
19 fonts, non-critical features)
20
21 For anyone else planning to use this flag, please only use it if it's a
22 realllllly minimal build. The original package to use this was vim, and
23 vim's minimal build turns off syntax highlighting, visual mode, multiple
24 window support, proper terminal support, multibyte characters,
25 completion, diff support, folding and a whole load of other stuff that I
26 can't think of off the top of my head.
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm