From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:51:38
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:36:31 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:

> Those replies are a good example of the rude behavior the poster is > referring to. The replies consisted of sarcastic questions in > "you're an idiot" style. The only thing they do is trying to trigger > a hostile response from the poster.
They were simple questions. I asked them because I care, not because I am planning to defend a status quo.
> Very good example of tone in Gentoo.
Maybe instead you have come to expect a certain "Gentoo tone" to accompany the silent letters of an e-mail? I certainly didn't put that tone in there. What I think but didn't initially say: 1) that there are probably some good examples of the bad tone that sping referred to, perhaps in the devrel/userrel domain and therefore not initially public, and that unless those projects fail (to uphold the CoC), we should probably not be talking about it on a public mailing list. 2) that "tone" is unavoidably a subjective matter, which is precisely the reason that some in our community choose consciously to be concise, informative and dispassionate, while you might infer that this results in curt, graceless and unaffectionate communication, or "bad tone" in short. Regards, jer