From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:23:17
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > My first impression is that any package that doesn't care
3 > about its UID should default to "first available", but if that causes
4 > problems, then that's exactly the sort of use case I'm looking for.
7 The ones I listed before were filesystems shared by multiple hosts,
8 such as with nfs, containers, and chroots. Granted, there are ways to
9 deal with this sort of thing, but if you want to share your /var/www
10 across a bunch of apache servers it would be nice if they all had the
11 same UID for apache.
14 Rich