From: Yi Qiang <khai@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GPG Signed packages
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 02:08:19
1 I think this has been brought up many times before, but as most of us
2 know, many of the debian servers have been compromised recently. This
3 has reinstated fear into many people about how "trustful" our distfile
4 repositories really are. If indeed one is compromised it would be too
5 easy for someone to slip a backdoor into a package, especially since I
6 and a lot of other gentoo users simply ignore md5 checksums. If a
7 digest fails we simply ebuild foo.ebuild digest it again. I think an
8 option should be made that would allow failing packages if gpg fails. (I
9 think Redhat does something like this) This of course is not a fool
10 proof way, but a big improvement over what is currently done to ensure
11 package integrity.
12
13 Yi