From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/ffmpeg and media-video/libav
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:03:00
1 On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:08:01 +0100, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 > As there is new ffmpeg fork that is a bit alive we should provide it
4 > as
5 > alternative to current media-video/ffmpeg.
6 >
7 > So libav is stored in media-video/libav (look at it, try to find
8 > issues
9 > and stuff).
10 >
11 > Virtual package is virtual/ffmpeg where now i implemented it to have
12 > versioned dependencies.
13 > So there is virtual/ffmpeg-0.6 virtual/ffmpeg-9999 where the apps can
14 > decide what they need.
15 > Samuli pointed out that we do not slot ffmpeg nor support versioned
16 > deps
17 > and always demand everything to be working with latest. If you have
18 > strong opinion on that one please express it here so the virtual gets
19 > redesigned to just simple virtual/ffmpeg-0.1 without any version
20 > stated
21 > in it. I myself like the chance to express the version explicitly.
22 > Virtual itself provide access to all useflags currently used in eapi2
23 > deps. More can be added when required.
24 >
25 > For what is libav i would suggest you go to their homepage
26 > http://libav.org/ or poke Diego or Luca whom are actually members of
27 > upstream :)
28 >
29 > And finally the list of current dependencies over ffmpeg see in
30 > attachment.
31 >
32 > Cheers
33 >
34 > Tomas
35
36 When reading about the "fork" awhile back, I assumed that ffmpeg would
37 die and libav would continue in its place. Do we really need a virtual
38 for this??
39 -Jeremy