From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The bindist USE flag and RESTRICT=bindist
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:56:40
1 >>>>> On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2
3 > from the rest of your email, I understand that RESTRICT=bindist is
4 > eapi0 (or even not covered by eapi?), right?
5
6 > is there any information on RESTRICT=bindist ? with these 150
7 > packages using it, this sounds like something well known that I had
8 > never heard of :/
9
10 It is not in PMS/EAPI, presumably because binpkgs are a Portage-only
11 feature. (Things like profiles/license_groups aren't in PMS either...)
12
13 The feature is documented in emerge(1) and ebuild(5) or
14 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-reference/ebuild/ though, and it
15 exists since 2007:
16 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/a19efeb2d64e2442975d5d9f6175eaf4
17
18 But yes, I would be in favour of documenting RESTRICT=bindist and
19 ACCEPT_RESTRICT in the devmanual and in the handbook. Maybe here would
20 be a good place:
21 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Parts/Working/Features#Binary_package_support
22
23 Ulrich