From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] systemd + postgresql is non-obvious to me
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:51:50
1 On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On the whole, I'm displeased with the systemd alternative for
4 >> controlling PostgreSQL. It's significantly hampered and doesn't allow
5 >> as much flexibility as the initscript. The major issue being trying to
6 >> nicely shut down the server instead of jumping straight to murder.
9 > It looks like the package installs a service file provided by
10 > upstream, so you might want to direct your complaint there unless it
11 > really is a systemd limitation.
12 >
13 > Checking the latest version in portage it calls:
14 > ExecStop=/usr/@LIBDIR@/postgresql-@SLOT@/bin/pg_ctl stop -D
15 > ${DATA_DIR} -s -m fast
16 >
17 > I'm no postresql expert, but according to the manpage that should
18 > bring the server to a screeching, but still controlled, halt. Perhaps
19 > you would prefer setting it to -m smart instead of -m fast.
22 Personally, I prefer the thing to stop within a reasonable time period
23 when I tell it to stop. Waiting around for the remaining connections
24 to magically die (smart mode) is just tedious.