From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: Gentoo Seeds
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:56:38
On 9/21/06, Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
> Please keep in mind that only a few of the approximately 300 Gentoo > developers are taking part in this discussion and only a few of them > actually seem to get a bit more heated than it should be. > If you think they are behaving poorly, feel free to think so, but > remember that they do not entirely represent Gentoo.
I agree entirely, however I also think that the actions of a few can be magnified in the public's eye and reflect upon a the whole group. I think that many (most?) people would agree that in both this discussion and the one surrounding the Sunrise project lines have been crossed. The Etiquette Policy [1] specifies that "... as a developer, what you say and do reflects upon Gentoo and the project as a whole. We just require you to be equally respectful to developers and users alike, and to value the opinion of everybody - even if you think it's totally wrong." [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=2 What control mechanisms are there within the Gentoo community to keep a few bad apples from spoiling the whole barrel, as it were? I do not wish to name any names, but it seems to me from having skimmed this list for the past few years that there are a couple people who are continually embroiled in flame wars and, in my opinion, are bringing discredit to Gentoo in general and the developers in particular. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list