From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Status of ppc and ppc64 teams.
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 20:46:22
1 On 08/16/14 05:32, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > El lun, 04-08-2014 a las 18:03 -0400, Anthony G. Basile escribió:
3 >> Hi everyone,
4 >>
5 >> The ppc and ppc64 team members just had a meeting. One of our main
6 >> issues was reconstituting those teams because they were in a state of
7 >> disorganization. We've come up with a plan to move forward and address
8 >> Pacho's original concern about ppc/ppc64 falling behind. Here's what we
9 >> came up with:
10 >>
11 >> 1. We elected jmorgan as the lead for both ppc and ppc64. He's our
12 >> point person for any ppc/ppc64 related issues.
13 >>
14 >> 2. If you are interested in helping out, whether you are a current team
15 >> member or not, please speak up! There are people formally listed as
16 >> part of the ppc/ppc64 herds, but there's so much inactivity, we'd like
17 >> to know who's going to be active. Of course we understand there is this
18 >> thing called "real life" but there is a difference between a little help
19 >> and no involvement at all. We are considering culling the team members
20 >> accordingly. (/me hides!)
21 >>
22 >> 3. We are going to try to keep ppc and ppc64 going as it has been, with
23 >> the usual STABLEREQ and KEYWORDREQ. We think we can do it without
24 >> overloading ourselves, especially if we get help. We do have a shared
25 >> ppc64 system. The bigger problem is actually KEYWORDREQ's so we are
26 >> going to request maintainers not ever drop ~ppc or ~ppc64 even when they
27 >> feel a major bump has occurred, eg a deep rewrite to a library. We know
28 >> this is living dangerously but we'll going to make use of the community
29 >> in this regard --- either someone will bug us on a broken ~ppc/~ppc64
30 >> package, or we'll catch it at stabilization.
31 >>
32 >> We'll try to move ppc/ppc64 chatter to those lists, but it was important
33 >> that everyone know where we're at.
36 > Then, you will finally try to keep current stable tree as big as
37 > current :/? (I am referring only to stable tree, not about dropping
38 > keywording entirely that wasn't ever the plan)
41 ago says he'll take care of the stablereq. I've been concentrating on
42 keywording. I got about 10 keywordreqs done in the past week (mostly
43 python and ruby stuff), down to about 63 and 67 bugs for ppc and ppc64
44 respectively.
45
46 So that's the plan. If anyone else besides ago would have said they can
47 handle it, I would not have believed them.
50 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
51 Chair of Information Technology
52 D'Youville College
53 Buffalo, NY 14201