From: Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 19:12:11
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 05:38, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
> My perception from the outside is also that it's sometimes hard to offer > help. So if we now that we are busy then let's try to embrace others > doing the work.
This is also what I have observed. I think Gentoo needs appear to be much more focused on how to let people contribute, rather than how to filter/monitor contributions. There's too much discussion about how something is bad and why it shouldn't happen in the documentation and mailing list, and too little about what can be done to make sure the contribution, idea, or user(s) get included. One specific example I can give is the developer status itself. Gentoo developers are responsible for everything, including maintenance. This is not a bad thing, if it's part of a greater developer ecosystem. All successful projects I've observed survive on half of the work, at least, being done by volunteers, and the developers are there to simply review the work before it is applied. As far as I can tell, creating an inviting atmosphere, in which the developers listen and react to the community, is essential to the continued survival of Gentoo. Yea, this one of those long-term things that sounds awesome in theory but is hard to do right. However, I think the sooner ideas like these are discussed and possibly implemented, the sooner we don't have threads like these in the mailing list. I am encouraged that Gentoo developers are considering how to regroup themselves. -- Jacob "For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now — and never to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened." Are you ready?