From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:19:42
1 El jue, 07-06-2012 a las 11:03 -0700, Zac Medico escribió:
2 > On 06/07/2012 10:40 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:43:32 -0700
4 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> I can imagine that ABI_SLOT operator deps will be a lot more popular
6 > >> than SLOT operator deps, since ABI_SLOT operator deps will accommodate
7 > >> the common practice of allowing ABI changes within a particular SLOT.
8 > >
9 > > You're missing out on a brilliant opportunity to encourage developers
10 > > put in a bit more work to save users a huge amount of pain here.
11 >
12 > What about cases like the dbus-glib and glib:2 dependency, where it's
13 > just too much trouble to use SLOT operator deps? Wouldn't it be better
14 > to have a little flexibility, so that we can accommodate more packages?
15 >
16 > As a workaround for SLOT operator deps, I suppose that glib:1 could be
17 > split into a separate glib-legacy package, in order to facilitate the
18 > use of SLOT operator dependencies in dbus-glib. That way, it would be
19 > easy to match glib-2.x and not have to worry about trying not to match
20 > glib-1.x.
21
22 I would prefer, as a workaround, allow reverse deps to RDEPEND on
23 glib:2.* instead. That way it would cover more cases when more than two
24 slots are available