From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:23:06
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 00:48, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > We've discussed this several times in the past, and every time the
3 > answer has been that in the ebuild environment `sed` is gnu sed-4. It's
4 > the only sane way to do things, since certain other platforms ship
5 > retarded versions of sed.
6 And as there's no current way to fix the invokation of sed from within xargs
7 or find, I'm not going to ask to change _all_ the calls of sed, but just the
8 ones done through those two or other scripts and things that won't honour
9 aliases in bashrc.
10
11 I have to remember you that the discussions in the past often asked us to redo
12 things after a while. Being more strict and safe on the environment (wrt to
13 find and xargs) is IMHO helping; there are already things that are more or
14 less encapsulated and would be simple to get around (think of patch/gpatch
15 that's encapsulated to epatch) if we really need to. But find, xargs and in
16 general subshells not honouring bashrc are the main big problem.
17
18 Other suggestions are of course welcome, if you have something constructive to
19 say about that.
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
23 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE