From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /dev/serial/ (was "Let's redesign the entire filesystem!")
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:42:06
1 On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 03:04:36PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> # ls -l /dev/serial
4 >> ls: cannot access /dev/serial: No such file or directory
5 >
6 > Do you have your serial device plugged in?  If not, it will not show up.
9 Yup - it is plugged in, and the links in /dev/mythser show up fine.
10 Since I've been recording my TV shows on the correct channels I have
11 to assume the devices are working fine too.
12
13 > You do know that USB buses can be dynamically renumbered depending on
14 > the phase of the moon, right?  Be careful here...
15
16 Hmm - this has been stable for me for years, compared to just using
17 /dev/ttyUSBn.
18
19 In any case, I have no idea why nothing shows up in /dev/serial. The
20 only device nodes I can find for serial are /dev/ttyUSBn and
21 /dev/mythser/n (the latter being from my own rules).
22
23 Rich