From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: media-libs/x265/
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 14:45:58
1 On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 5:30 AM Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 21:09 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 > > If I understand you correctly, we should just drop the USE="pic"
4 > > logic
5 > > from the remaining packages that have it? Or are you trying to say
6 > > something else?
9 > Drop USE=asm unless there's a real reason to it: Such a useflag is,
10 > IMHO, at the same level of a useflag on dev-lang/python that would
11 > toggle dict's underlying implementations but not the semantics of the
12 > language.
13 > Have USE=pic for its historical meaning, aka, sacrificing everything to
14 > have PIC shared libs because your system enforces this (pax).
15
16 Thanks, this last sentence gives me a better understanding of why this
17 "pic" USE flag exists at all.
18
19 > Note that having the 'pic' useflag should be considered something to be
20 > fixed: rewrite the asm in a PIC way. But these days nobody has the will
21 > to do it since this is mostly an issue on x86+pax, both being slowly
22 > decreasing.
23
24 Given that PaX has been stripped out of official Gentoo kernels due to
25 the grsecurity licensing issue, I wonder if there is any other good
26 reason to keep the "pic" USE flag today. Surely this affects a very
27 small population of users.