From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] Official support for migrating ebuilds out of games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 06:36:04
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 23:27:18 -0700
3 > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 06/30/2016 06:02 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
6 >> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
7 >> >> I'm glad to see some reach-out here and taking responsibility for
8 >> >> decisions. However, what does the QA team have to say about systems that
9 >> >> want games on other media (such as an SSD or separate HDD), or wish to
10 >> >> restrict the use of games on their system to certain accounts?
11 >> >
12 >> > Has anyone complained about either of these features going away? If
13 >> > they're purely theoretical concerns...
14 >> >
15 >> > The games.eclass saga has gone on plenty long enough. I would much
16 >> > prefer that we not relitigate it. I understand that you may not have
17 >> > been around when most of it happened initially, but please understand
18 >> > that it's not feasible to reconsider every decision when new
19 >> > developers join the project.
20 >> >
21 >> I understand where you're coming from, but a lack of yelling or
22 >> complaining isn't logically equivalent to consensus. It's a fair point
23 >> to make, though. We don't know until we ask, so I'll post something on
24 >> gentoo-user about it.
25 >
26 > Did you know that Gentoo users are more likely to want something once
27 > you tell them they can want it? Even if it doesn't really make any
28 > sense, and they never felt like needing it in the past.
29 >
30 > So you're likely to make more noise than it's worth, and turn a minor
31 > loss into a major one. 'Hey, I'm telling you you can do X since we're
32 > removing it, enjoy it for a few days!'
33 >
34 > --
35 > Best regards,
36 > Michał Górny
37 > <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>
38
39 I wanted it, but didn't know it existed. I found more utility in
40 virtualizing machines to run games; the problem disappears with a new
41 /.