From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 05:26:13
1 On Wednesday 20 June 2012 16:25:30 Richard Yao wrote:
2 > Multilib (and/or multiarch) support
3
4 Thomas already has multilib documents put together for review. multiarch
5 doesn't make sense for us, and even if it did, there's no way it'd be spec-ed
6 out in a reasonable time frame for EAPI=5 (or even 6 or 7 or ...).
7
8 > The current binaries cause a great deal of pain, particularly when a
9 > user does not want to upgrade something. I had this problem with WINE
10 > and glibc because I wanted to avoid the reverse memcpy() fiasco on my
11 > systems. This situation would have been avoided entirely if the package
12 > manager supported multilib.
13
14 i don't buy this argument and makes me think when you say "multilib", you
15 don't actually mean "multilib".
16
17 > Automated epatch_user support
18 > Users should be able to test patches without modifying their ebuilds.
19 > This also saves developer time because we don't need to navigate the
20 > portage tree (or an overlay), make a change and test it. We could just
21 > dump the patch in the appropriate directory and build.
22
23 putting forth an idea is one thing. working out the technical aspects is
24 different. this sounds like something destined for EAPI=6: currently,
25 epatch_user uses epatch, and that provides a lot of dynamic patch support that
26 doesn't fit well with being spec-ed out / encoded in PMS.
27
28 > Parallel make checks
29
30 SGTM
31
32 > POSIX Shell compliance
33 > There has been a great deal of work done to give the user full control
34 > of what is on his system and there is more that we can do there. In
35 > particular, I think a lean Gentoo Linux system should be able to use
36 > busybox sh and nothing else. That requires POSIX shell compliance.
37 > OpenRC init scripts support this and the configure scripts support this.
38 > The few exceptions are bugs that are addressed by the Gentoo BSD
39 > developers. As such, I think we should make EAPI=5 use POSIX shell by
40 > default. If an ebuild requires bash, we can allow the ebuild to declare
41 > that (e.g. WANT_SH=bash), but that should be the exception and not the
42 > rule.
43
44 not a chance, and your logic about "choice" really makes no sense in the
45 ebuild context. read the archives wrt Roy Maples (sadly) burning out for in-
46 depth details as to why this is a no-go.
47 -mike