From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC & baselayout-2 meets Gentoo
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 06:59:36
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > This is a formal notice to everyone that OpenRC will be hitting the
5 > Gentoo tree sooner rather then later. I would like to see *ALL* arch
6 > teams give the current code a whirl on their systems, which is available
7 > via the layman module "openrc".
8 >
9 > I would also like to give the docs team a chance to weigh in here and
10 > work with me on a migration guide as well as any necessary updates.
11
12 The installation handbooks won't be changed until openrc & baselayout-2
13 are stabilized and shipped with the stage3 tarballs.
14
15 The same goes for our existing documentation. Until the new baselayout &
16 openrc are stabilized, made the default, *and* the old stuff is marked
17 deprecated, don't expect it to show up in our other documents alongside
18 baselayout-1 content. The last thing I want is to fork our documentation
19 code samples, and duplicate everything with "if you're on baselayout2
20 and/or openrc, do this instead...." instructions. That type of thing is
21 a maintenance and usability headache. It's all or nothing. "There can be
22 only one!"
23
24 I'll be working on the migration guide with Cardoe (and possibly Roy, if
25 we can tag-team him into submission). As much of a pain as migration
26 will be, we'll definitely need a howto. Fun, fun.