From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Plethora of Patches
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:24:44
1 On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Patches in the metadata.xml should have some sort of status tracking for
4 > each patch, repoman should flag any that don't, and warn on any that have
5 > not been submitted upstream unless the status is signed off on by a herd
6 > leader (such as Gentoo specific patches). This would provide visual feedback
7 > for users and developers with regard to a pretty important metric on how
8 > successful Gentoo is at getting patches pushed back to developers.
9
10 It was proposed recently to add some standarized headers to all new
11 patches for maintenance purposes. Something like:
12
13 Source: patch by John Foo, backported from upstream, whatever.
14 Upstream: In revision 245, rejected, foo.
15 Reason: Build system sucks
16
17 I think that's all we need in order to know how were things when the
18 patch was added and if it needs to be pushed/tracked upstream, removed
19 in the next version of the package, etc.
20
21 Some of us already put these kind of headers, or at least an URL to
22 upstream bug or a meaningful source of info about the patch.
23
24 However, tracking the status of every patch since its inclusion in
25 portage until it's removed would be a huge work overhead... and I
26 doubt it's worthy.
27
28 Regards,
29 --