From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of virtual/php from depend.php
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 22:10:01
Hi,

in concert with bug 319623 the php team would like to remove virtual/php
from the depend.php eclass. This will change DEPEND and RDEPEND strings
for quite some packages.

The basic idea is:
virtual/php is only provided by dev-lang/php and has been for quite some
time now. There are no plans to split php again. So all ebuilds that
need a PHP installation should just depend on dev-lang/php.

For convenience we still provide virtual/httpd-php, which will give you
php and a webserver able to display your php sites.

So we're replacing virtual/php with dev-lang/php in depend.php.
Question is: do we need depend.php-r1 for this? Did I miss some
important point about the change?

Yes, this eclass requires EAPI=2 and I will not commit the change to
this eclass until every ebuild using it has migrated. If that's not
feasible, I'll use depend.php-r1.

Patch attached. Thanks to Ole Markus With, it's actually his work and
I'm just helping fleshing out ideas and directions here.

01_fix_virtuals_in_depend.php.patch text/x-patch