From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A more natural (human-friendly) syntax for dependencies
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:19:28
1 >>>>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Micha³ Górny wrote:
2
3 > A package name can't end up with something looking like version.
4
5 > Thus, if upstream names package:
6
7 > frobnicator-11
8
9 > We need to rename it in the tree, effectively losing the ability to
10 > follow upstream naming and introducing a bunch of unnecessary MY_P,
11 > S variables.
12
13 You need to be more precise here. Package names like "foo-1a" or
14 "foo-2_alpha" are perfectly legal, see the discussion in bug 174536.
15
16 What is currently not allowed are package names ending with a hyphen
17 followed by digits only (as in your above example). This seems to be
18 completely arbitrary, and we could remove this limitation, even with
19 existing dependency syntax.
20
21 Ulrich