From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git Commit Procedures
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:47:20
1 On 07/26/2010 12:32 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On 07/24/2010 10:10 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm trying to make a correction to the devmanual (assuming this is
5 >> supposed to be general access) for bug 293629. However, I can't seem to
6 >> find where to clone the repository from.
7 >
8 > See "Git Repositories" on http://sources.gentoo.org
9 >
10 > or
11 >
12 > http://sources.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=devmanual.git;a=summary
13
14 Would this work for commits? Assuming of course that I had rights to
15 commit?
19 >> If this isn't supposed to be edited by devs at large, then somebody can
20 >> feel free to close that bug. It had been open for ages so I figured I
21 >> might just see if I could take care of it.
22 >
23 > Attach a patch to bug. That repo is not open for anyone to commit to,
24 > you have to be a member of the QA team, (or approval from Halcy0n or
25 > Betelguese)
26
27 Makes sense. That would be the issue in this case.
28
29 My general point was that documentation in general around git is very
30 vague, except for the overlays (which is still lacking, but there is
31 enough info to at least be dangerous there).
32
33 Maybe a worked example with full command lines might be helpful -
34 starting from scratch check out repository, change a file, and commit it
35 to the official repository. The info out there does require filling in
36 a lot of blanks, and since git itself has no concept of a central
37 repository there aren't a lot of examples of how to do this. Such an
38 example should of course factor in any Gentoo-isms as well (changelogs
39 (if applicable), commit messages, etc - anything we ought to be doing).
40
41 Rich