From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git Commit Procedures
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:47:20
On 07/26/2010 12:32 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> On 07/24/2010 10:10 AM, Richard Freeman wrote: > >> I'm trying to make a correction to the devmanual (assuming this is >> supposed to be general access) for bug 293629. However, I can't seem to >> find where to clone the repository from. > > See "Git Repositories" on http://sources.gentoo.org > > or > > http://sources.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=devmanual.git;a=summary
Would this work for commits? Assuming of course that I had rights to commit?
Makes sense. That would be the issue in this case. My general point was that documentation in general around git is very vague, except for the overlays (which is still lacking, but there is enough info to at least be dangerous there). Maybe a worked example with full command lines might be helpful - starting from scratch check out repository, change a file, and commit it to the official repository. The info out there does require filling in a lot of blanks, and since git itself has no concept of a central repository there aren't a lot of examples of how to do this. Such an example should of course factor in any Gentoo-isms as well (changelogs (if applicable), commit messages, etc - anything we ought to be doing). Rich