From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sys-apps is too big
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:01:03
1 sys-apps is huge, and that makes it a nuisance to work with. I'd like to
2 get as much non-core-system stuff out of sys-apps and moved into other
3 categories if possible.
4
5 >From looking at the apps that're there, the following rough categories
6 sort of maybe stand out a bit:
7
8 sys-apps: keep this around, but for core stuff only
9 sys-misc: sys-utils? sys-tools? non-core tools that're still systemy
10 sys-process: process and cron utilities
11 sys-power: power management related apps
12 sys-cpu: cpu management related apps
13 sys-storage: or move stuff to sys-fs?
14 sys-network: or move stuff to net-*?
15 sys-hardware: other hardware related apps (maybe splittable further?)
16 sys-bsd: see note below
17
18 I made a really rough list of possible members, which is here:
19
20 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/tmp/sys-apps.txt
21
22 It's not a very good list, and the categories proposed aren't very good
23 either, but it's a rough starting point. Feedback strongly encouraged,
24 since the current list isn't anywhere near implementation-level sanity.
25
26 Regarding sys-bsd... When the *bsd folks get their thing working, we're
27 going to end up with a fair number of bsdish things in the tree. Since
28 sys-apps is too frickin' huge, would sys-bsd make sense?
29
30 This email brought to you by the campaign for splitting up base-system
31 into a number of smaller saner parts.
34 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
35 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
36 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm