From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: blueness@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 07:00:45
1 On Sat, 25 May 2013 15:53:21 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We are moving too quickly on bug #448882 ([Tracker] packages not
5 > providing systemd units). We should come to better consensus on systemd
6 > integration and we were getting there with the idea of INSTALL_MASK. I
7 > don't know that it is a working solution yet. I have to oppose adding
8 > unit files unless we have a way to opt out for reasons I gave earlier,
9 > regarding embedded systems where one needs to conserve space
10 > aggressively. And we may have found a way to do so without cluttering
11 > ebuilds with USE flags.
12
13 <snarky>
14
15 You could drop conf.d and init.d files to save space, unit files are
16 obviously smaller.
17
18 </snarky>
19
20 > Can I ask the systemd people to design a working solution for opting
21 > out? I can't support this initiative without such a solution and I
22 > would be happy to work with the systemd people to reach it, ie I'll test.
23
24 INSTALL_MASK *is* a working solution. And I've designed
25 app-portage/install-mask which sets it up for you.
26
27 If you want something better, just integrate 'keywords' (like
28 'systemd', 'doc', 'man') into INSTALL_MASK, and be done with it. Just
29 make sure to store the list of recognized keywords in the repo rather
30 than keeping it rotting inside portage code.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny