From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:51:27
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 26-11-2011 16:56:41 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >> [...] Besides, sorting even 30,000
4 >> entries (if you're merging every ebuild in portage) should not take
5 >> more than a few secs.
6 >
7 > A linux kernel has around that much of files, and I really wonder if
8 > it's worth waiting a couple of seconds (probably more on sparc and arm
9 > systems) just because then the files are in sorted order.
12 I'm not sure the two are really comparable. However, looking at a
13 simple string sort on 30,000 strings, I don't see it taking a
14 significant amount of time at all:
15
16 import random
17 import time
18 t1 = time.time()
19 a = range(100000, 130000)
20 random.shuffle(a)
21 b = [str(i) for i in a]
22 t2 = time.time()
23 b.sort()
24 t3 = time.time()
25 print(t2-t1)
26 print(t3-t2)
27
28 ----
29 0.0682320594788
30 0.0464689731598
33 >> 1. I'm obviously assuming that dep nodes that do not depend on each
34 >> other would be sorted
35 >
36 > I think this is per package.
39 Actually, reading the code it seems that it's about the file merge
40 order of a single package. My participation in this entire discussion
41 is m00t. Never mind. :p
44 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
45
46 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team