From: Nils Freydank <holgersson@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moderator ruleset for gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 22:18:49
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 with regards to the current mailing list (ML) split discussion, and one
4 specific message deep down there by mgorny asked for someone providing
5 moderator rules, I would like to propose the following ruleset for gentoo-dev
6
7 Right now the situation escalated in a way that forces to actually do
8 something and I hope we can recreate an atmosphere where technical
9 improvements can happen.
10
11 I suggest using a very specific ruleset to give a proper guide to future
12 moderators and users of the ML in addition to our *existing* Code of
13 Conduct[1].
14
15 As my personal experience showed me it might be good to add a good alternative
16 to every expelled bad one, so I added them.
17
18 As this is a RFC I’d welcome any discussion about that document.
19
20 Proposal
21 ========
22
23 1. Idea and topic of the mailing list
24 ----------------------------
25 The gentoo-dev mailing follows the main idea of discussing topics that are
26 part of the development of Gentoo itself. This limits to technical aspects
27 like eclass improvements, or GLEP development.
28
29 Off topic discussions or general user support are not part of this mailing
30 list and should be held on other, appropriate lists.
31
32 2. People or groups allowed to write to gentoo-dev ML
33 -----------------------------------------------------
34 Everybody who has the intention to contribute to the discussions according
35 to the mailing list’s topic has the right to do that after a subscription.
36
37 This explicitly excludes off topic discussions, flaming, trolling and verbal
38 attacks against other people or groups (which are defined under point 5).
39
40 On gentoo-dev it also excludes bug reports or support questions. Bug reports
41 can be filed in the bug tracker, support related questions can be asked on
42 other mailing lists, in IRC channels or in the Gentoo related forums.
43
44 3. Moderation
45 -------------
46 The moderation team has to consist of at least two developers. The moderators
47 have to do join the moderation team voluntarily.
48
49 Moderators are held to warn authors on the list if they ignore the rules of
50 this list and ban them for a limited time if they repeat the behaviour that
51 led to warnings in the first place.
52
53 4. Procedure of banning and ban times
54 -------------------------------------
55 As banning is a severe interaction it has to be strictly regulated.
56 When moderators perceive someone ignoring the rules, they have to go
57 through the following steps:
58
59 a) Warn the respective person once pointing out the exact rule
60 that was violated.
61
62 If the violation continues, moderators have to
63 b) ban the user for 24h noting this in a direct response the violation.
64 That way the violation, ban time and reason are documented.
65
66 Every third 24h ban results into
67 c) a 7 day ban with the same regularities as a 24 hour ban.
68
69 d) Every ban has to be notified to ComRel (comrel@g.o).
70
71 5. Reasons for warnings and bans
72 --------------------------------
73 The rationale for the whole moderation is to keep the list productive. To
74 achieve this, some specific actions have to be sanctioned:
75 a) trolling, i.e. provocation of aggressive reactions
76 b) attacks, e.g. insulting people or groups
77 (which does not include proper articulated disagreement)
78 c) spamming, i.e. flooding discussions with lots of messages in a row
79 d) constant postings off topic, i.e. disrupting discussions with unrelated
80 questions
81 (constant means more than two times in a row)
84 6. Preservation of transparency & discussions
85 ---------------------------------------------
86 Maybe the most important aspect for moderation is transparency. To achieve it
87 the ban is
88 a) strictly regulated with regards to possible reasons
89 b) strictly timed,
90 c) logged via the mailing list archives.
91
92 If a warned or banned person thinks the action taken wasn’t correct, this
93 issue
94 might addressed with the moderator in a private discussion first. If there is
95 no
96 conclusion found, the discussion should take place with ComRel as a mediation
97 party.
98
99 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct
102 GPG fingerprint: '766B 8122 1342 6912 3401 492A 8B54 D7A3 FF3C DB17'
103 Holgersson