From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:11:58
On 4 December 2011 06:51, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote: > >> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have >> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for both >> bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane alternative >> that every developer should be able to read. > > How many times have you needed to request build logs in english since the last > time you brought this up?  How many times have you had to request emerge > --info or build logs in general?
Surely this can be automated? "Error - Bug not filed! No emerge --info attachment detected. Either tag one of your attachments as `emerge --info`, or upload one"
> I think adding a note to bugzilla reminding reporters that logs need to be in > english would be a better solution than forcing it on everyone.
Again, automation should be moderately easy to achieve. Having bugzie grep for "Error" / "Warning" in the top ten non-English languages should be enough. On a positive, reject the output with a popup explaining how to get an English version. Am I wrong, or is LC_MESSAGES=C a non-UTF-8 locale? Why is this considered a good idea? Why not en-UTF-8?