From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:55:58
1 On 12/18/2012 01:45 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 07:50:51AM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> This all started with the April 2012 council meeting when it was
6 >>> pushed through that separate /usr without an initramfs is a
7 >>> supported configuration, so yes, the previous council started this
8 >>> issue.
9 >>
10 >> Sorry, but that's not an accurate account of what the council has
11 >> decided on. What we voted on in the April 2012 meeting was this:
12 >>
13 >> <ulm> The question is: "Decide on whether a separate /usr is still
14 >> a supported configuration."
15 >
16 > Ulrich,
17 >
18 > I have read the log, and that is where the confusion is.
19 >
20 > If that is true, and I think folks would beg to differ, we can say that
21 > the way separate /usr is supported is via requiring an initramfs and
22 > move forward from there because that would still be within the
23 > council's requirement since there is now documentation on how to build
24 > an initramfs.
25 >
26 > I know at least one council member who was at that meeting who would
27 > strongly disagree and say that what you voted for was that separate
28 > /usr, without an initramfs, is a supported configuration.
29 >
30 > Thoughts?
31 >
32 > William
35 Our official documentation for LVM2 explicitly advised users to use such
36 configurations. Dropping support now will break existing systems
37 unnecessarily.
38
39 Before anyone says to use a news item, let me say that publishing a news
40 item to inform users that we decided to break their systems will not
41 make it better.