From: Thomas Beaudry <tmbeaudry@×××.com>
To: troy@××××××.com, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding package mask
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:54:50
1 > > I beg to differ ... I did this with media-gfx/povray and after
2 > > every "emerge sync" I get ....
3 > > # emerge -pu povray
4 >
5 >My apologies, I thought that the local ebuilds were NOT checked
6 >against packages.mask.
7 >
8 >I've just tried the same thing as you, with the same results.
9 >
10 >It would make sense (to me anyway) if the local ebuilds in
11 >$PORTDIR_OVERLAY were *NOT* checked against packages.mask, that
12 >way us end users could assist the developers by simply dropping
13 >masked ebuilds into our local tree and then testing them. Sure
14 >it means that there is duplication and some extra hard drive space
15 >taken up, but ebuilds aren't that big. Also for those wishing to
16 >test ebuilds it would be a conscious decision to place a masked
17 >ebuild in your local tree.
18 >
19 >Maybe I should submit a bug about this. Any devs care to comment?
20
21 I'm not a dev but I agree, packages.mask should not affect the local
22 directory.
26 Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com