From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 04:54:46
1 Rich Freeman posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2011 23:26:28 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> isn't that already done with @installed ?  `emerge --upgrade
6 >> @installed`
7 >
8 > Well, you'd arguably at least need a -N in there.
9
10 Indeed.
11
12 > Also, this doesn't work in stable portage - I assume this is something
13 > available in the newer branch.
14
15 Yes. @ denotes a set. Stable portage doesn't have sets in general yet,
16 altho it is setup to recognize the two special sets, @system and @world
17 (which for those sets only, for backward compatibility, may appear with
18 or without the @).
19
20 > In any case, if that is the "right thing" then we should update
21 > our docs accordingly.
22
23 Of course, that would need to wait for sets to stabilize. When that
24 might be I haven't the foggiest, but it'd be nice to not have to be
25 running hard-masked portage, again. (FWIW, my world file is entirely
26 empty as all the packages formerly contained therein are now in custom
27 sets, @local.admin, @local.fonts, @local.kde.base.kdebase.workspace,
28 @local.xorg, etc, and those are in turn listed in the world-sets file,
29 not world, which is for packages, not sets.)
30
31 > Also - will doing an emerge -u @installed add those packages to @world -
32 > ie do we need to throw a -1 in there, or is this behavior coded in as an
33 > exception?
34
35 Sets are recognized by the @ in front of them, and would normally be
36 added to world-sets instead of world, but there's a number of special
37 sets like @selected (@world minus packages only pulled in by @system)
38 @system, @world, @installed, @live-rebuild (basically -9999 versions),
39 @preserved-rebuild, @security, @unavailable-binaries (AFAIK, @installed
40 minus binpkg-available), @module-rebuild (external kernel modules), @x11-
41 module-rebuild, etc.
42
43 So yes, @installed is one of the special sets and therefore an exception.
46 But... talking about -1 in context of --best (or whatever), I've always
47 wondered why that wasn't the default, as well. Only add the package to
48 @world if the user specifies to do so. That way a user can remerge an
49 individual package (or set), without having to worry about whether it's
50 going to be added to the world (world-sets) file, as it's only added when
51 the option is specifically listed.
52
53 But for that to work with --best, --best would have to be in
54 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTIONS (with --best cancellable by later options if
55 necessary), or people would be even MORE likely to forget to add the -1
56 for one-off emerges.
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman