From: Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:48:56
1 On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > All,
5 >
6 > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the
7 > category media-radio.
8 >
9 > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to
10 > propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the
11 > amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in
12 > media-radio which are not amateur radio related.
13 >
14 I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore I am
15 a little bit biased :). I was always confused to find them in
16 media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.
17
18 But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related packages in
19 other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse trainer,
20 app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So maybe a general
21 cleanup would be good.
22
23 A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio and 2
24 others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise there are 11
25 amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That means a move to
26 app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.
27
28 Regards
29 Thomas.