From: "Zaborowski
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>, "'gentoo-users@g.o'" <gentoo-users@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FW: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources-r4 and Promise ATA card
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:12:23
1 And as this is probably more appropriately a developer issue, I am sending
2 it to that list as well.
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: Zaborowski, Ed, Ctr, AFPCA/OAC [mailto:Ed.Zaborowski@×××××××××××.mil]
6 Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 11:08 AM
7 To: 'gentoo-user@g.o'
8 Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources-r4 and Promise ATA card
9
10 Matthew,
11 I am sorry I don't have a solution to your problem. I just wanted to
12 note that I have had a promise controller problem as well starting with the
13 gentoo-sources kernels.
14 My controller is a PDC20269 (the ATA133 that came with the Maxtor
15 120Gb I recently purchased), and does not raid either. My linux
16 installations is not on the harddrives that I have attached to it, so I can
17 boot successfully, however the drives are unusable, and it takes an
18 unusually long amount of time to boot.
19 When the pdc controller is recognized, it complains that one of my
20 drives are busy, and that I need an 80 pin cable, and such.
21 The only think I can narrow it down to was the fact that there
22 definitely was some code changed in the pdc202xx drivers, however I don't
23 know if this problem is now a configuration problem or a code problem. I
24 also don't know how to fix it.
25 If you come across the fix, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I'll
26 do the same... :)
27
28 Ed
29
30 -----Original Message-----
31 From: Matthew Daubenspeck [mailto:matt@××××××××××.org]
32 Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 10:38 AM
33 To: gentoo-user@g.o
34 Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources-r4 and Promise ATA card
35
36 I have a Promise UltraTX2 ATA100 card working perfectly with the old
37 linux-2.4.19-r1 sources. As soon as I try to use any of the new gentoo
38 sources (r1, r3, and now r4) I cannot boot my system with the new
39 kernel. I have checked and double checked all config settings from the
40 old linux sources to the new gentoo sources, and they are identical.
41 When the system boots, I get the following message:
42
43 PDC20268: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 40
44 PCI: Could not assign IRQ 17 to device 00:08.0
45
46 The boot then stops and will not display the drives on the card. At
47 this point during the old kernel boot, it displays hde and hdf as
48 being ATA100 drives, and the boot continues normally.
49
50 I then have to boot from the cd and revert to the old kernel, and the
51 system boots perfectly. This controller (Promise 20268) does not have
52 any RAID features availble, so that isn't the problem. Any ideas?
54 gentoo-user mailing list
55 gentoo-user@g.o
58 gentoo-user mailing list
59 gentoo-user@g.o