From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:25:26
1 On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 12:06, Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > Its becoming increasingly common place these days for program to sit in ~x86
3 > for a long time. I am curious why this is? Kde 3.2.3 is still in testing.
4 > Whats taking so long? June 24 is a long time to test a production ready
5 > application, as kde feels it is.
6
7 We do not rely on the upstream author's indications on whether a package
8 is stable in our tree or not. There are many reasons for this,
9 including the fact that we allow for easily changing of CFLAGS and other
10 compilation options that can affect an installation.
11
12 If you find something to be quite stable, then let us know.
13
14 > There are other packages I have found I am having to force upgrading myself on
15 > these days just to get. mysql is still on 4.018, they are on 20 now.
16
17 Is it 100% necessary to stay on the latest package? Was there a
18 security vulnerability fixed by the new version? If not, upgrading
19 simply because there is a newer version isn't always our top priority.
20 Often times, we are simply too busy to write a new ebuild, test the new
21 ebuild, and commit it for every version. In many cases we are
22 understaffed, even with our enormous developer base.
23
24 > Whats going on over there?
25
26 You have to remember that many of us are volunteers and are unable to
27 spend a large amount of time on Gentoo. We have jobs, families, and
28 other commitments than Gentoo.
29
30 With Gentoo, it really does hold true that if you want something done,
31 you should do it yourself. Create ebuilds. Post them to
32 bugs.gentoo.org. If you think a package has been in testing too long,
33 report not only on your failures, but also on your successes. Many
34 times packages will be delayed simply because there hasn't been enough
35 testing done, or the package simply gets forgotten about for a while.
36 We are a community-based distribution. For things to get done quickly,
37 we *require* the help of the community.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
42 Gentoo Linux
43
44 Is your power animal a penguin?