From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:16:52
1 On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:08:22 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 > This is not about optimizing but preventing clear breakage, the
4 > benefits of asneeded are not under debate here (like already stated
5 > in the original message this thread started from)
6
7 --as-needed does not prevent breakage. It shoves some breakages under
8 the carpet so they're sometimes less visible, and sometimes easier to
9 fix when they happen. However, it does absolutely nothing to address
10 any of the root causes of the breakage, and it does introduce new
11 breakages itself.
12
13 Had one tenth of the effort that had been put into running around and
14 adding in hacks to work around a deliberately broken toolchain instead
15 been put into fixing libtool and delivering better slotting mechanisms,
16 none of this would be an issue.
17
18 Or is the policy "we've started running towards the cliff and we've
19 already debated the merits of jumping off it, so all you're allowed to
20 discuss now is how we remove the fence"?
23 Ciaran McCreesh