From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 07:13:18
Hi,

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 19:59 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
> I have been working with robbat2 on solutions to the separate /usr issue > (That is why I have specifically cc'd him on this email) > which will allow people to not use an initramfs. If we migrate > everything off of the root fs to /usr, all of those solutions become > moot. On the other hand, if we don't migrate, we run the risk of > eventually having our default configuration not supported by upstream.
I think the general consensus among other distros is that initramfs is the new /. Many core elements of the Linux system will start installing themselves in /usr, starting with udev, so we won't have a choice anyway. Also, I doubt it's currently possible to boot a Gentoo system without /usr mounted anyway.
> 1) Start migrating packages along with upstream and have everyone who > has a separate /usr (including me by the way) start using an initramfs > of some kind, either dracut or one that we generate specifically for > gentoo. The reason I suggest the initramfs, is, unfortunately if we > migrate everything, nothing else would work.
I also don't see a good reason to not adopt dracut, re-implementing something that already works and is maintained by a competent upstream seems wasteful to me. I really don't see why people resist using an initramfs so much. The udev/kmod/systemd/dracut effort to standardise the base userspace of Linux is probably scary for quite a few Gentoo-ers as it means that the end result of an installed Gentoo system will be less differentiated than it was before. But it still is a step in the right direction as most of these standardized pieces are much better than what we currently have. The OpenRC/baselayout-2 fiasco, not much better than baselayout-1 and unmaintained upstream shows that even a relatively large distribution like us can't maintain a competitive base system solution, adopting the udev/kmod/systemd way will allow us to use all the work that they are doing and instead concentrate on making a better system. -- Olivier Crête tester@g.o Gentoo Developer