From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 07:13:18
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 19:59 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > I have been working with robbat2 on solutions to the separate /usr issue
5 > (That is why I have specifically cc'd him on this email)
6 > which will allow people to not use an initramfs. If we migrate
7 > everything off of the root fs to /usr, all of those solutions become
8 > moot. On the other hand, if we don't migrate, we run the risk of
9 > eventually having our default configuration not supported by upstream.
10
11 I think the general consensus among other distros is that initramfs is
12 the new /. Many core elements of the Linux system will start installing
13 themselves in /usr, starting with udev, so we won't have a choice
14 anyway. Also, I doubt it's currently possible to boot a Gentoo system
15 without /usr mounted anyway.
16
17 > 1) Start migrating packages along with upstream and have everyone who
18 > has a separate /usr (including me by the way) start using an initramfs
19 > of some kind, either dracut or one that we generate specifically for
20 > gentoo. The reason I suggest the initramfs, is, unfortunately if we
21 > migrate everything, nothing else would work.
22
23 I also don't see a good reason to not adopt dracut, re-implementing
24 something that already works and is maintained by a competent upstream
25 seems wasteful to me. I really don't see why people resist using an
26 initramfs so much.
27
28 The udev/kmod/systemd/dracut effort to standardise the base userspace of
29 Linux is probably scary for quite a few Gentoo-ers as it means that the
30 end result of an installed Gentoo system will be less differentiated
31 than it was before. But it still is a step in the right direction as
32 most of these standardized pieces are much better than what we currently
33 have. The OpenRC/baselayout-2 fiasco, not much better than baselayout-1
34 and unmaintained upstream shows that even a relatively large
35 distribution like us can't maintain a competitive base system solution,
36 adopting the udev/kmod/systemd way will allow us to use all the work
37 that they are doing and instead concentrate on making a better system.
40 Olivier Crête
41 tester@g.o
42 Gentoo Developer