From: "Brian D. Harring" <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:15:52
1 On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:56:45PM +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:45:20PM -0500, Brian D. Harring wrote:
3 > > Not tenuable
4 > >
5 > > What you're effectivelly suggesting is that portage stomp ahead and,
6 > > hit a failure, try and figure out what atom would fix the failure,
7 > > retry, wash rinse repeat.
8 >
9 > No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about something to help an
10 > ebuild writer. If I'm emerging my newly written ebuild and it works, I
11 > still may have missed a few build dependencies. This situation would
12 > probably result in a lot of ebuilds with incomplete build dependencies
13 > and a lot of work for the cross-compiling people. By using a tool like
14 > I described, I can see what I still need to add to the list.
15 Best solution in my opinion for such a tool is abuse of binpkgs +
16 chroot for testing, but that's beyond portage's focus, should be an
17 external tool.
18
19 A tool to do analysis of a package/ebuild and discern the BDEPEND's I
20 could see, just thought you were suggesting it be defacto on the fly
21 thing :)
22 ~harring