From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs due lack of time
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 05:15:11
1 On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:42:11 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I would justify it through keeping things split and bit-exact clean,
5 > instead of tightly integrated.
6 >
7 > Separate ebuilds mean that:
8 >
9 > - each firmware has proper license,
10 >
11 > - each firmware can be installed separately and it is _clean_ which
12 > firmwares are actually installed (think of binpkgs),
13 >
14 > - each firmware can be upgraded when it needs to be (alternatively: all
15 > firmwares are re-installed over and over again when new firmware is
16 > added).
17 >
18 > And I wouldn't mind having even 200 sys-firmware/ packages. And don't
19 > tell me that firmwares change every month, these are particularly
20 > maintenance-free packages.
21 >
22 > And I don't mind having meta-packages for lazy people.
23 >
24 > Although I believe that having a few 'group' packages for firmwares
25 > will be 'acceptable'. Assuming those firmwares share a common license.
26
27 I very much agree with all of this. It would be nice if we could keep the
28 individual firmware packages but just have them be a wrapper that depends on
29 linux-firmware and ensures that the required files get installed (maybe by
30 adding them to the savedconfig if it finds they aren't there). Yes, there are
31 several problems with that idea, I know.
35 gcc-porting
36 toolchain, wxwidgets learn a language baby, it's that kind of place
37 @ gentoo.org where low card is hunger and high card is taste